Established in 1939, as Saginaw Municipal Employees Credit Union in an effort to provide city employees a "member-friendly" alternative to banks in the aftermath of the Great Depression. A small group of members organized our credit union and started operating credit union business in the basement of City Hall. We soon grew out of that location and moved to a small house across the street, later to another small house on Washington Avenue, before moving to our current location on N. Michigan Avenue, in 1989.
In August 2003, we changed our name to Family First Credit Union. This allowed us to open our membership through a community charter expansion. In October 2004, along with renovating our main office, we opened our first branch office at 6900 Midland Road in Freeland. Another charter expansion in October 2011, helped to increase our membership opportunities to include serving members in Midland and Genesee County. In May 2013, we opened our second branch office located at 3550 Tittabawassee Road in Saginaw.
Family First Credit Union is a community chartered credit union and membership is open to anyone that lives, works, worships or attends school in Saginaw, Bay, Midland, or Genesee Counties. This includes anyone related by blood, marriage or a foster child living in the household of a member. Membership is open to any retiree age 55 or older, receiving a pension and residing within the boundaries of Saginaw, Bay, Midland, or Genesee Counties, Michigan.
Your Credit Union - The money works for you conveniently and confidentially. A credit union is a member-owned, democratically controlled consumer financial cooperative - each member is an owner, saver and a potential borrower. Credit unions are non-profit organizations founded under the concept of people-helping-people - credit unions cooperate within their structures and with each other. By members pooling their money to purchase shares, low cost loans are made to fellow members. In turn, as these loans are repaid, the interest received is used to pay dividends to the shareholders. All earnings, above expenses and reserves, are returned to you, the member. The more you participate the more you share the benefits. Today, more than 100 million people in the United States are members and part owners of their own financial institutions - their credit union.
Once a member - Always a member. After joining the credit union, you are a member for life. Whether you change jobs, move out of the area, retire, transfer or leave the field of membership, you may still retain your membership and all of the benefits it entails.
Family First Credit Union is dedicated to providing a full range of financial services to our members in a prompt, friendly and courteous manner.
Family First Credit Union will be the preferred financial institution to our members and potential members by offering financial products and services for their lifetime. We will provide outstanding, responsive and professional service to our members. Our commitment is to be actively involved in our community as well as in the credit union movement and we believe in its philosophy.
- Philosophy - We are a non-profit organization that believes in the credit union philosophy of “Members Helping Members”.
- Ethical and Legal Behavior – We conduct business in a manner that requires excellence in integrity, trust, privacy, confidentiality, accountability and mutual respect.
- Member Service – We provide our valued members the highest level of professional service and respect – our members come first.
- Teamwork – We work together to achieve common goals and measure, evaluate and recognize our successes.
- Staff Development - We provide guidance and motivation to our staff through education, information, communication and policy development.
- Adaptive to Change – We are an ever-learning organization that pursues innovation and change to meet future challenges.
- Organizational Growth – We will provide future growth opportunities through performance and planning initiatives.
- Community Service – We dedicate our time and resources to causes that make a difference in our community.