History

Family First Credit Union has over a 70 year history. We started as Saginaw Municipal Employees Credit Union in March of 1939 in an effort to provide city employees a more "member-friendly" alternative to banks in the aftermath of the Great Depression. A small group of members organized our credit union and they actually started operating in the basement of the city hall. We soon grew out of that location and moved to a small house across the street, and later to another small house on Washington Avenue, before ending up at our current location on N. Michigan Avenue and Holland Street in 1989. This location was totally remodeled in 2004 to better serve our membership.

In August 2003 we changed our name to Family First Credit Union. This allowed us to open our membership through a community charter to anyone that lives, works, worships or attends school, or a retiree age 55 and older receiving a pension in Saginaw or Bay Counties. An expansion in October 2011 has increased membership opportunities to include Midland and Genesee County.

In October of 2004 we opened our first branch office at 6900 Midland Rd. in Freeland. Family First CU was the first credit union to serve the Freeland area.